Monday, October 4, 2010

Student DHV Story Critique

Hi Quality et. al,

On our phone consultation, you said I should do some preparation before heading out to Vegas on Nov 2nd. A big part of it was creating material for stories. Well, here's what I came up with. I'm not quite sure how I can turn everything into DHV, how much of it is interesting, or how to put it all together to make it flow. But this is the kind of stuff that interests me and what a big part of my life is about or just interesting stuff that happened in my life. As you suggested, these are just bullet points. I could talk for hours on the stuff below and I have before. But not everyone finds it interesting. Some people find it very interesting. Others would be bored.



Leon,

Good job on the prompt response. One more thing that I would like for you to do is put the attraction switch label on each story and tell me when you think each story is best told. I.e. Attraction, Comfort, etc since you weren't too familiar with the attraction switches. This will get you in the habit of being able to identify your stories with the attraction switches and when to tell them.

Also, some of the stories are kind of dry and will need revamping. We will work on these in the bootcamp. Delivery is also key! I will break down each story if I can find the time. Here is an example of one.... Putting in all the work before the bootcamp will definately pay off when you are in the field!

Quote:

Story 4 - Cycling
- After the .com bust, I quit my job and started living the lifestyle of a pro cyclist for almost 4 years. I did well enough during the .com boom to afford to do this. It's not as glamours as it sounds. Basically eat, sleep, train, repeat. Never got to be as fast as the Pro's, but I got pretty damm fast. I could get a top 20 finish in some of the largest amateur races in my category and often won/placed in local races. Traveled around the northeast doing some of the biggest amateur races in the region. I did this to see how far I push my body physically.


Pluses
* Shows that you made good money before.
* Adventurous and bold enough to jump careers
* Shows Passion and Drive
* Lots of travels and experiences

Minus
* May comes off as bragging or trying too hard.
* Doesn't promote emotions
* Is not interesting to someone who doesn't have a passion for biking
* Hard to relate
* Dry

Suggestions
Tell a story and evoke a lot of emotions. Maybe put down a big race and how nervous you felt. Maybe say at one point you thought about quitting but pushed yourself hard from inside and because of that, was able to place in the top 20. Add twists and turns in the story. Say that someone bumped into you and made you fall loosing precious time. Add more conflict by shows that you injured your leg on the fall and wanted to quit etc. And tell her how it felt to finally cross the finish line. and what a feeling of accomplishment it was. Tell her how your friends were there cheering for you and how they all hugged you at the end and lifted you up on their shoulders to parade. Say one of your home girls handed you some flowers. Get the picture? Just adding these elements into your story makes it a much more interesting story. Add a punch line or moral to the story. I.e. "And I realized that no matter how tough it gets, I'm a fighter inside and my heart will never forgive me if I ever quit" etc.



~Quality - Asian Playboy Intern Instructor
ABC of Attraction
qualitypua.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment